Superman: Man of Steel
Movie news, images and trailers
Three actresses contending for unknown Superman role2011-02-04
Rosamund Pike, Alice Eve and Diane Kruger are all on the shortlist for the female lead in Zack Snyder's new Superman film.
But in echoes of the Spider-Man reboot's decision to get rid of lead love interest Mary-Jane in favour of Gwen Stacy, none of the above actresses are being considered for the part of Lois Lane.
In fact, nobody is, because it's not certain that Lane will even appear in the film. Stepping away from the traditional romantic set-up of Clark Kent and Lois Lane, Snyder could be attempting to craft a Supes film that's entirely different from the movies that have gone before.
So who else are this trio of blonde actresses contenting to play? Well, there's always Lana Lang, who appeared in Superman III (played by Annette O'Toole).
But internet speculation has shone a light on Catherine Grant, a gossip columnist at the Daily Planet. In the comics, she briefly dates Kent but ends their liaison because of his feelings for Lois Lane.
If the lead female does indeed end up being Grant, it would seem that Snyder is looking at the long-term possibilities of a storyline that gradually builds up Kent and Lane's relationship over a number of movies.
More interestingly, we wonder what ramifications this apparent Supes shake-up will have for the film's central villain.
Will Snyder turf Lex Luthor out in favour of Doomsday? Or General Zod? Seems Bond 23 isn't the only franchise with a revolution on its hands.
» news source
- Man of Steel in Statue Form
- Man of Steel release dates.
- Man of Steel Trailer #2
- New poster for Man of Steel
- Man of Steel teaser trailer - with Russell Crowe
- Superman: Man of Steel logo
- New Man Of Steel image emerges
- Michael Shannon talks General Zod costume
- Henry Cavill on his Man of Steel costume.
- Clip from the set of Man of Steel
- New photos of Henry Cavill on Man of Steel set
- Russell Crowe talks fighting General Zod in Man Of Steel